How To Remove Home Wallpaper by Myself? Home wallpapers are usually easy to remove from the wall in Singapore homes. They are stuck to the wall due to adhesive, glue, or magnets. However, for those who try to remove them without using any tools, it is not always possible and you might end up damaging the wall.
Below are some tips on how you can remove wallpaper by yourself. Read on!
How To Remove Home Wallpaper by Myself?
1. Try to peel the paper off the wall
The most important thing is to avoid damaging the wall surface. The best way to do this is to get as little of the wallpaper stuck on the wall as possible. Reaching a corner or edge, lift a corner of the paper and then peel it back gently. This works better if you have a helper because he can hold the opposite side so that more hands are free to assist in removing it.
You might discover that there are remnants of adhesive beneath the paper, so you need to scrape off these parts before proceeding any further. Do this with a putty knife or by using an edge if you have one available.
2. Use a pencil eraser
If the wallpaper is not stuck to the wall, you can use a pencil eraser to get rid of it. You can use this directly on the wall surface, but this might damage the surface. Instead, you can use the eraser on a piece of paper and rub it gently over the wallpaper. Do not rub hard as you could end up damaging the wall surface.
3. Use adhesive remover or cleaner
If none of these methods worked, try using an adhesive remover or other common cleaners to remove it from your wall surface. They will remove any remnants left by the paper and might even get rid of any glue that was used in its installation. Scrape off with a putty knife or use a corner and the paper will be easy to remove from the wall.
4. Use a wallpaper remover
This is an extreme method, but if you have tried everything else this might be your only option. You can buy wallpaper removers that contain different chemicals for removing specific types of glue and you can use them to remove any paper stuck to the wall very efficiently.
You can also find chemical removers in hardware stores and DIY stores, but they might not be as effective as professional wallpaper cleaners available in hardware stores. If you use one of these chemicals carefully, it is recommended that you wear protective gear such as gloves and masking tape when handling them on your hands and skin.
5. Use wallpaper grout to remove wallpaper
If you have a stubborn case of wallpaper, you can use wallpaper grout to remove it from your wall. You can buy grout made for removing wallpaper or you can just use common mortar and plaster that has been diluted for this purpose.
The trick is to apply the grout on the wall, wait for it to dry, and then scrape off the paper until it comes off easily. Try not to use too much pressure when scraping as any scraps left behind could damage the walls.
6. Use a wallpaper removal machine
If none of the above methods worked for you, the best option is to use a wallpaper removal machine. It is expensive and not easy to use, but it might be your only way to remove stubborn cases from your wall.
You can find these machines in various sizes and price ranges. Even though you have to hire one, it will make removing wallpaper much easier for you. There are also DIY machines available that allow beginners to remove wallpaper without taking any risks with their home walls or surfaces.
7. Have a professional help
The final option is to hire a professional to do the removal for you. You might not like this idea as it can be expensive, but it will guarantee that the job is done without damaging your home’s walls or surfaces. You can find professionals with experience in this type of job online or through hardware stores in your area.
Why you need to remove wallpaper
- 1. The color of the wallpaper can affect how people perceive your house. There are plenty of homeowners who spend money and time getting their houses decorated with certain colors because they know that those colors can add value to their homes or make them appear clean, inviting, and warm even if they are not.
- 2. Some wallpaper can be toxic in some cases, so you should be careful when handling it. It is not the kind of thing that you can easily get rid of and you are exposed to it during application. When removing wallpaper, you need to be cautious so that the toxic substances do not enter your body.
- 3. If the wallpaper is getting damaged, then it will soon become a health risk for your children and pets that come into contact with it directly or indirectly as they will also soon be exposed to some of the harmful chemicals used in its production.
- 4. You can save money by removing wallpaper. Your wallpaper will wear out at some point. It is inevitable, especially if you have children and pets at home who might pull and scratch it from time to time. The only way you can prevent this from happening is by removing the wallpaper before it gets to that stage instead of replacing it when it does get damaged.
- 5. When your wallpaper is stained or falling apart, you will begin to notice the underlying sheen of the wall rather than looking at the pattern on the wallpaper that has been applied over it. That can make your home look dull and old quickly.
How To Remove Home Wallpaper by Myself – Conclusion
When the wallpaper is damaged, you can end up wasting a lot of money replacing it. This can be especially true for expensive wallpaper that you have applied to your walls when you remodeled your house or fixed up an old part of its remodeling.
Things like this are unavoidable in most households, but if you remove the wallpaper when needed, then you have no waste to worry about.